Mobile Hotspot Lending Policy and Agreement
The Fort Scott Public Library lends mobile wireless Hotspots to library patrons to provide internet access. A Hotspot kit consists of the mobile wireless Hotspot device itself as well as its charger and case. A Hotspot can provide internet access for multiple devices.
In order to borrow a Hotspot:
- Patrons must be eighteen years of age or older.
- The borrower must have a Fort Scott Public Library account in good standing.
- Any charges on a borrower’s account must be paid before a Hotspot will be checked out.
- At the time of checkout, the borrowing patron must present their library card and a government issued photo ID.
- Upon checkout, library staff will confirm, in the presence of the borrowing patron, that all items are present in the Hotspot kit.
- The patron must sign the Library’s Hotspot Agreement before a Hotspot can be checked out.
- Hotspot agreements will be retained by the library only as long as deemed necessary by library personnel.
- Only one Hotspot may be borrowed by a household at any one time.
- Holds may be placed on Hotspots.
- The loan period for the Hotspot is two weeks with no renewals.
- Please DO NOT return in book drop. Hotspots must be returned directly to a Library Circulation Desk employee who will verify that all components of the Hotspot are accounted for before checking it in from the borrowing patron’s account.
- Patrons returning Hotspots should remain at the Circulation Desk until library staff have inspected the Hotspot and checked it in.
- Returning a Hotspot in the book drop will result in a $25.00 fee.
Overdue Hotspots and Replacement fees:
- The Hotspot is considered overdue unless all of its components are returned to a library circulation desk during library operating hours on the due date.
- The library will not remain open longer than its usual operating hours for a Hotspot to be returned.
- In the event of an unscheduled closing of the library, the Hotspot will be considered due the next day that the library is open.
- Overdue Hotspots will be turned off remotely and will be unable to connect to service.
- Overdue charges are $1.00 for each day the Hotspot is late.
- Overdue charges will accrue on days the library is scheduled not to be open.
- After 30 days overdue, the Hotspot will be considered lost and the patron will be billed.
- Patrons who experience any problems with the Hotspot should return it immediately to the library. Borrowers should not attempt to repair the device.
- The borrowing patron will be responsible for lost or damaged Hotspots and accessories (includes theft thereof).
- The cost to replace the Library Hotspot device, charging cable, and case is $100.00. This cost will not be pro-rated if portions of the Hotspot kit are returned.
Internet service relies on cell tower technology and coverage. Service outside the continental United States is prohibited; any fees associated with use outside of this area will be the responsibility of the borrower. User experience can vary based on location.
Parents/guardians are responsible for the use of the Hotspot by minors. Unlawful use of the internet or use that violates the Library’s Computer and Internet Use policy is prohibited and may result in the loss of privileges. The Library is not responsible for personal information shared over the internet or for information or websites accessed. The Library is not responsible for any liability, damages, or expense resulting from the use of the Hotspot.
Patron information is not tracked by the library or the service provider.
Approved by the Fort Scott Public Library Board 06/08/2021 _______________________________________________________________________