It is the policy of Fort Scott Public Library that its employees and board members uphold high standards of ethical and professional behavior. To that end, these employees and board members shall dedicate themselves to carrying out the mission of this organization and shall:
1) Recognize that the chief function of Fort Scott Public Library at all times is to serve the best interests of its community, fostering the great wealth of knowledge that has been handed down to us.
2) Serve with respect and consideration in carrying out the library’s mission and treat with respect and consideration all persons, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, maternity, marital or family status, disability, age or national origin and not engage in discrimination of any kind.
3) Hold paramount the welfare of the public in the performance of professional duties.
4) Resist censorship of library materials by groups or individuals and shall not be swayed by partisan interests, public pressure, or fear of criticism.
5) Respect the confidential nature of library business and not disclose such information to anyone and protect privileged information to which they have access.
6) Avoid situations in which personal interests might be served or financial benefits gained due to access to privileged library information and distinguish clearly in actions and statements between personal philosophies and attitudes and those of the library, acknowledging and supporting the formal position of the Board even if in disagreement.
Approved by the Fort Scott Public Library Board of Trustees December 13, 2022.